Who is this management and supervision course for?
This Introduction to Supervision and Team Leadership course is designed for anyone in a supervisory or team leader role and is applicable to any industry or sector.
Team leaders and supervisors generally perform similar tasks to their team members, but are responsible for the overall performance of the team. The introduction to supervision offered on this training course teaches participants the effective leadership and management skills to get the most out of a team and to deal with the common challenges faced by supervisors.
What does this management course focus on?
Leading a team can be very challenging but is very rewarding if done successfully. The Introduction to Supervision and Team Leadership training course will give learners everything they need to know to successfully manage teams and meet their own objectives by improving their team’s performance. This training course focuses on management from a supervisory perspective, with a focus on the skills we’ve found people think are most valuable, like dealing decisively with difficult situations and managing delegation.
Explanations of current management theory and practice will be combined with practical exercises to give you confidence in your management style. You’ll leave equipped with the management and supervison skills to tackle the team leader role head on.
This course is extremely hands on and is supported by an immersive Case Study. The Case Study provides a framework for understanding and applying the principles, knowledge and skills gained during the course. The course will introduce you to tried and tested theories and frameworks. During the two days, you’ll get involved in group exercises, pair work, presentations, case studies and scenario work
Should I do this course or your Introduction to Management course?
If your role is about being responsible for the overall performance of a team but you generally perform similar tasks to your team members, this course is perfect for you. If your role is more about direct management of people with different responsibilities to your own, you’ll benefit more from our Introduction to Management course.
What topics are covered on the course?
The modern team leader
- The skills of an effective team leader
- Understand the supervisor’s position within the organisation
- The five key areas of team supervision – lead; communicate; organise; plan; control
Effective team leadership
- Meet the expectations of your team
- Adapting your leadership style and role
- Applying the GRIPS model of team leadership
- Setting SMART goals and objectives
- Formulating goals to balance the key components of team leadership – task, team and individual
Develop your leadership style
- Using different management styles for different situations
- Pinpoint your own management style and evaluate for effectiveness
- Learn how to effectively manage your friends
- Delegation – structure, pros and cons, do’s and don’ts
Motivating and developing others
- Delivering practical feedback to overcome conduct and capability issues
- Setting, monitoring and driving commitment to performance standards
- Applying models of motivation to drive performance