Who is this management course for?
This Introduction to Management training course covers core management skills that can be applied to almost any management role or industry sector. Aimed at those who directly manage others, it’s a popular choice for professionals who have not had any formal management training and those who are relatively new to management. It is also useful as a refresher course for managers with more experience who wish to explore best practice for communication, motivation and leadership skills.
Professional actors bring the course content to life to develop learners’ skills in a practical, hands-on way in a safe environment.
This course can also be taken as part of our CMI Modular Level 3 Certificate in First Line Management. You can also achieve a Level 3 Award in First Line Management by completing a written assessment after this course. Call us to find out more.
What is the Introduction to Management course about?
Managing others can be one of the toughest challenges we face at work. This management training course gives a complete overview of what a manager needs to know, and covers both technical development and relationship skills. At the end of the course, learners will leave with a thorough understanding of what best practice is and how an effective manager behaves and motivates the team.
This Introduction to Management course from Reed Learning covers the parts of management that new managers often find most difficult, such as providing feedback and addressing under-performance. Every manager attending this training course will leave with a practical action plan, improved confidence, and a best practice toolkit that will make a real difference back at work.
Should I do this course or the Introduction to Supervision and Team Leadership course?
If your role includes the direct management of people with different responsibilities to your own, this course is perfect for you. If your role is about being responsible for the overall performance of a team but you generally perform similar tasks to your team members, you’ll benefit from our Introduction to Supervision and Team Leadership course.
What topics are covered on the course?
The purpose of a manager
- The principles of achieving results through other people
- How to identify and overcome the common management pitfalls
- Understanding the multiple aspects to the management role, and getting the balance between them
Leadership and management
- The distinction and the relationship between management and leadership
- How management style can impact upon an organisational climate
- The management styles continuum and when to adapt
- Practical management styles exercise with feedback
- Key principles of decision making to demonstrate effective leadership
Effective delegation and gaining co-operation
- Exploring the benefits and overcoming the barriers to delegation
- How to delegate using a planned, methodical, structured approach
- Practical delegation exercise using a “live” task
- Building relationships and co-operation with other departments
- Identifying the need to motivate and the link to performance
- Defining motivation and exploring motivational theory
- Practical motivational ideas, tips and techniques
- The importance of managing, maintaining, and driving performance
- How to set clear, unambiguous goals
- Exploring a structure for delivering practical feedback
- Identifying different feedback interventions